Monday, June 11, 2007

Advocacy, wikis, blogs...

Advocacy, wiki, blog....so much to do and so little time! I have never been one of those people who would write articles to advocate for something, or publish an editorial, or who would go lobby in DC. However, I will gladly give my opinion when asked and sometimes I don't even need to be asked. My point is I have enjoyed working on the advocacy project. I do understand how someone could get very pumped up by reading and researching controversial topics. For example the more we work on ourtopic the more involved we become with it.

I say this because I think that this idea of "advocacy" could be used it the classroom as part of authentic learning. Here I go again always with the "oooh I could use this in the classroom". Anyway, teachers could have students advocate for whatever is covered in the SOLs. For example in sixth grade history one side could advocate for entering WW2 and the other side could advocate for staying out, one side for the New Deal the other side against, same could be true for science, English, and maybe non core subjects like health. I think using something like our advocacy wiki page puts a modern spin on our old debate. Advocacy might fit our digital natives better.

4 comments:

Natalie's Google Account said...

What a great idea! In fact, the students are so aligned to debating on a regular basis that advocacy would be a subject that might engage them. I am sure that I could find a way to use this in my classroom!! Thanks for planting the seed...

Jodi said...

I love the idea of advocating historical events. Any ideas how you could use it for math?

Carlene said...

I like the idea also but I agree with Jodi. I am having a hard time relating it to math. I would love to hear any ideas anyone has.

Carlene

Jodi said...

Hope the beach was fun! Best wishes as you finish the cohort and exit experience next week.